Sports Massage Therapy – or Sports Injury Massage – works by helping to alleviate the stress and tension which builds up in the body’s soft tissues. Where minor injuries and lesions occur, due to overexertion and/or overuse, massage can break them down quickly and effectively. Above all, it can help prevent those niggling injuries that so often get in the way of performance and achievement. This is equally true whether your lifestyle is active or sedentary – so it’s true to say that Sports Massage isn’t just for elite sport players!
Here at our Leeds clinic we regularly use Sports Therapy and Sports Massage to help people from all walks of life, and from all over Yorkshire and beyond.
Sports Massage in Guiseley, Leeds and how it can help:
- Enhance performance, aid recovery and prevent injury
- Improve posture and flexibility
- Reduce discomfort from muscle soreness
- Include the management and treatment of sports injuries, exercise therapy and rehabilitation
- Release of muscle tension and pain
- Remove waste products from the muscles
- Stimulate circulation to bring nutrients to aid repair within the muscles
- Aid relaxation
Who can benefit from Sports Massage?
Anyone who engages in physical activity for the purpose of sports or fitness – irrespective of age, level of fitness or level of training – can benefit. Also anyone with injuries or other problems will find the stimulatory effects of Sports Massage are highly effective in encouraging the healing process.
What to expect during your treatment…
When you first come to see us here at Bellissima in Leeds, your Therapist will begin by filling out a medical and lifestyle consultation, followed by a visual and postural assessment. This is so we can make sure that the treatment you receive will be closely tailored to your individual needs. Your Massage Therapist will then take care to explain the treatment and techniques she is going to use. Please note that every treatment plan is tailored to your own specific needs and produced to order on the day of your visit.
How is Sports Massage different to other Massage Treatments?
If you’re familiar with other forms of massage – such as Swedish or holistic massage – you’ll recognise some common aims, including physical and mental relaxation. Sports Massage, however, is specifically designed to assist active people in their sport or fitness activities. A Sports Massage Therapy practitioner is concerned primarily with:
- Muscular and skeletal alignment
- How exercise affects the body’s systems
- How massage can promote or reduce these effects for the benefit of the client.
Many of the aims of sports massage, such as injury prevention and the promotion of recovery from exercise, are therefore quite different from the aims of other forms of massage.
Sports Massage, or Sports Injury Massage, incorporates manipulation of the soft tissue and connective tissue with stretching. This form of therapy uses similar strokes to deep tissue manipulation – such as kneading, circular movements, tapping and vibrations.
One of the distinguishing features of Sports Massage is its greater focus on sports-related areas of pain. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily more painful, although clients do sometimes feel a degree of discomfort. Our experienced Sports Massage Therapist can identify areas in which you experience muscle tightness, as well as determining muscle abnormalities that could potentially lead to injury if left untreated.
Sports Massage – looking at the benefits and effects
- Sports Massage can speed healing and reduce discomfort during the rehabilitation process.
- Soft tissue techniques employed by Sports Massage Therapists are effective in the management of both acute and chronic injuries.
- Trigger point techniques reduce the spasm and pain that occur both in the injured and ‘compensation’ muscles.
- Cross-fibre friction techniques can help with healing by improving the formation of strong and flexible repair tissue. This is vital in maintaining full pain-free range of motion during rehabilitation.
- Muscle Energy Technique can be used to improve a muscle which has a limited range of movement, particularly after a recent injury.
In some cases GP notes may be required prior to treatment. If you’re aware of any medical contraindications, please let your Therapist now about them when you come to see us here in Leeds.
If you have any further questions about Sports Massage here at Bellissima Exclusive please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Discounts for Sports Teams and Athletic Clubs
If you’re a member of a sports team or athletic club we might be able to offer you a team or club discount. Please email email@example.com for more information.
*Disclaimer: All treatments are based on suitability, medical questionnaire and consent. We can't guarantee the results of our treatments. Results differ from person to person and the likely effectivity will be discussed with you during your initial consultation. Permanence of results is not guaranteed.
|Treatment||Price||Price 2||Price 3|
45 minute Sports Massage including a postural assessment
Recommended as a first time treatment for injuries, aches & pains in multiple areas, extra tight muscles, pre- and post-events or workouts.
30 minute Sports Specific Massage
A maintenance treatment tailored to you. We can target specific muscle groups using Sports Specific Massage techniques.